Sunday, January 30, 2011

Double Chocolate Loaf with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread



I had promised the girls I teach each Sunday a baked treat as part of their lesson today.  I ended up taking an extra class today, so I doubled the recipe for the Double Chocolate Loaf and had lots of tasters.  Before I started my lesson, I started a new tradition with my class (one that I learned while teaching in Pittsburgh) ... Sweet & Sour.  It was something that I had kinda forgotten about but it came to my mind the other day and thought that it's just what I need in my class as a way to feel closer to each other and open some lines of communication.  So as the platter of chocolate loaf bread & PB spread went around the room, I got to hear the sweets & sours of each girls' week.  My sour of the week: assessments at symphony that we had to play in front of the whole first violin section ... talk about nerve-racking!  My sweet for the week: being able to de-stress by baking & enjoying TWO great chocolate desserts this week.



The loaf's taste reminded me a little bit of those chocolate-chocolate chip muffins that you buy at Sam's Club or Costco.  We enjoyed our loaves, but had a few issues with them.  I baked a few different sizes and my largest sized loaves fell in the middle.  My loaves were also a tad dry and very crumbly.  So there is possibly something that I did incorrectly along the way.  My eggs felt somewhat small to me in my hands as I was cracking them, so maybe I should've added an extra egg???  The Peanut Butter spread was a huge hit among my little kiddies and the girls I taught this morning.  But I think it would be fun to try other flavors like strawberry or raspberry mixed with the cream cheese & then put on top of the chocolate bread.



Pin It!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry for the issues--your loaves sure look wonderful! While I have NO complaints about the peanut butter, I agree that the sky is the limit for fun flavored toppings for this cake!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Well, I thought that just the very end slices were dry, but all the mid slices were very moist and not crumbly. It thinking that the larger loaves had sinking issues due to all that yummy melted chocolate chunked up goodies, but everyone's mini loaves looked good...someone else also complained about their loaf sinking. Might need just a couple of T of flour...that's where weighing the flour is helpful. I'll have to try this one again. I liked it good enough, but I don't like the sinking issue. Very nice post and as always, great pics.

Cakelaw said...

I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so it doesn't matter about anything else. They certainly look devine and chocolatey!

Anonymous said...

I think I could eat the peanut butter spread by itself! And the loaves look so decadent!

Anonymous said...

1. I love your blog! I love the owls adn I really enjoy your style! So thanks for adding the link to the baked sunday mornings!

2. my loaves were crumbly too. I don't know if it's because of the eggs ... because I made a banana loaf last night and didn't have that problem.

3. the idea of the raspberry or strawberry cream cheese spread is BRILLIANT! like a little cheesecake topping! I will totally be doing that :0)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails