Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pizza Rustica - Tuesdays with Dorie

This recipe was not at all what I expected.  When I hear pizza, I think of a crust (pie crusts do not come to mind), cheese, toppings, maybe some kind of sauce....  This "pizza" was more like a quiche.



First I made the dough.  It came other alright, but I've never made a dough that didn't instruct me to put it in the fridge for a bit before using it.  When I rolled the dough out, it seemed kinda ... wierd.  I could see where it was cracking (not because it was dry though ... maybe mine was too wet??) as I rolled.  I had to do lots of patching after it was transferred to my pie dish and making a lattice with my dough was almost a joke.

Then for the filling.  I'm not a huge fan of ricotta cheese ... it's just OK.  I decided to try something else instead that I love ... cottage cheese.  I'm also not much a meat person, so I added sliced mushrooms & left out the ham.

Everything cooked up fine and in the end, I think it all worked-out.  Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the sweet dough/crust with the savory filling.  Some of my family members had a hard time eating one slice and some went back for seconds, so we had mixed reviews at our house. :)  If I were to make this again, I'd add more veggies & use a unsweetened dough for my crust.

If you are interested in the recipe, please go HERE or HERE.

Pin It!

9 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

This was a unique dough.

I actually liked the flavors better the second day - the salt of the proscuitto and the sugar were a little more balanced with each other when it cooled.

It looks pretty, though.

Karen @ SoupAddict said...

I went back and forth on the sweet dough, changing my mind with every bite. That thing with the dough was so weird - never had a pie dough do that before (must have been the egg ... and humidity). I think I muttered, "you've GOT to be kidding me" about a dozen times as I patched that thing together. :)

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Good to hear I'm was not the only one to have issues with the dough; it seems a handful of people did as well. I really liked the doughs flavor - did not think it was too sweet at all. We enjoyed it here.

Kathy said...

I make pasta frolla quite often for a few Italian tortes that I make…I usually refrigerate them for at least an hour before using. I was surprised that this one didn’t suggest refrigeration. Your pie does look perfectly delicious! Sorry this wasn’t a hit for you!

Unknown said...

Your pizza rustic looks delicious, sorry you didn't all love t! The contrast of the sweet dough and savory filling kind of grew on me and I liked it in the end! Even though it did sound weird!

Unknown said...

sounds like your reviews at home were about the same as mine here. Addison liked it, and Pete was ready to get rid of it! ha! I have some left overs if you're interested!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Well, I think your photo turned out lovely and your pie looks wonderful. I've decided that we are our own pie dough climate...not high altitude or things people normally deal with...we are dry climate and extra water and then plenty of rolling flour seem to help our the fussy pie doughs. Dad does not enjoy quiche so this was not a favorite for him, but still fun to try a new dish.

Megan said...

I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe. Sorry it wasn't a hit over there. :(

pinkstripes said...

Your pizza rustica looks great. I think mixed reviews are the status quo with this recipe--much like regualr quiche. You like it or you don't.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails